Search This Blog

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Doing the right thing

My office and work space
I've been ignoring these blogs over the past couple of weeks.  My life has become a flurry of days and nights that flow into each other.  I didn't even realize yesterday was Friday the 13th 2015 till one of my clients reminded me of it.

Which brings me to some choices that I have to make.   I like my job.  I like the people I'm associated with and at times can make good money (as the 2 grand check for 2 weeks work in my bank account shows).  I do feel however that my job is "unstable" and what I mean by that is simple.  In the past 14 months I've worked for 4 different departments and have worked with 16 different clients.

I enjoy a challenge.  I enjoy learning something new...and I'm happy that the company feels that I can handle whatever problem is thrown my way.  At the same time I also feel that if things slip gears for me and I no longer am able to produce at a certain level...that I would be out on the street.  Welcome to sales, welcome to the world of finance and insurance.

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making my life even more complex and busy by looking outside my company and building a small book of business for myself; while continuing to work for the company I do.

From when I first bought the place
There are reasons for this.  We need to get the kitchen redone.  The electric stove (welcome to Florida where everything is electric) has lost one of its burners.  The door keeps coming off it too.  The cabinets are dated and the floor is an ugly off white color.  So let's sink about 10 grand into that, because if we are going to be honest with ourselves, people look at kitchens and baths.  Plus updating it would help with resale value and although I'm noting planning on selling anytime soon, I have to keep that in the back of my mind.

I had to do sink some serious cash into this home for a new roof already, some underpinning work, flooring, paint and added a shed.  I did some grounds keeping work on the outside of it this year, taking down some trees (which to be honest I did not want to do) and trimming up others.

Slowly but surely this has become a home that Susan and I can feel proud of.  This is our home.

Over the last two years however Susan's health has not been good.   She's ended up in the hospital a few times, and as some friends know....the prognosis is sketchy at best.  So there is talk of her wanting to go back up north to Pennsylvania to live with family again, at least for a partial amount of the year.   I can understand that.

Slippery Rock Campground be perfect for her.  It's only a couple miles from were she grew up and with relative low costs for rent she could be there for 3 or 4 months out of the year if needed.   Of course, this takes money.

We always find a way.

So I put feelers out...looking for a independent company that might be willing for me to work weekends and nights at times to slowly, ever so slowly, build a book of business for them.  To make things...better for us.

I know USAA is hiring, that they pay more per hour, but that means putting up with "sweat shop" conditions and frankly at this time I'm not looking for that.  I don't mind putting in the work, but I do mind the stress.  I'm not working to work, I'm working to live.

So...let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment